We're visiting some friends and all the kids, 4 boys plus Anna, are outside playing. At one point Anna runs in crying because all the boys are being "mean" to her. Now at this point what usually would happen is I would tell her what I think she should do.
Me: "Well Anna, then go downstairs and play in the toy room. Or go ride your bike."
Anna: (crying) "You don't understand, I don't want to do those things, I want to play with the boys. You need to go talk to them!
And on we go. Now with the new phrase the above scenario goes like this...
Anna running in crying about the boys being mean and I say...
Me: "Well Anna, some kids might decide to play by themselves. Or some kids might decide to tell the boys that they are hurting your feelings. Or some kids might stay inside and chat with their mom. I'll let you decide what you want to do.
I used this again just yesterday when giving Anna her first allowance and explaining how it will all work.
Me: "Anna, when kids get an allowance they can choose lots of different things to do with it. Some kids might divide it up in savings, money to give to church or to help others, and then spending money. Other kids might choose to split up their allowance differently. I'll let you decide what you want to do.
When I came back later to look and see what Anna decided, I saw that my Very Classic Firstborn Born Child had divided her money into saving, church and spending. AND she put more money in savings then she did in spending. Can she be a more classic firstborn?
I don't think it's going to be this easy with my second born child!
Lest you think I came up with this on my own, don't be fooled. There is no original thought here. I'm reading "Parenting With Love and Logic." I've read it previously when Anna was younger, but I'm re-reading it now since we're doing it for my mom's group. You pick up so much more the second time around!
I'll leave you with a couple of kiddo pics....


No comments:
Post a Comment