Saturday, September 22, 2012

One Year Ago Today...

One year ago today I was working in the Urgent Care.  We had been anticipating our referral for months.  Time moved so slow.  That morning between patients I called our adoption specialist,Leslie,  to see if she had heard anything.  I knew the answer would be no.  But I wanted to be reassured once again that our case had not been forgotten.  Leslie of course said all the reassuring things I needed to hear, but as I expected there was no new news. 

I went back to seeing patients with strep throat, bladder infections, ear infections and flu symptoms.  Fortunately there was nothing out of the ordinary that day.  I was on autopilot with my mind thousands of  miles away in Ethiopia.  My heart was heavy with the burden of waiting. 

A little after 6pm that evening I was at my desk finishing up my dictations when my cell phone rang.  Leslie's name came up on the screen.  I sighed figuring she was calling back to further answer one of my questions.  Suddenly my mind snapped.  Leslie was in Kentucky.  She was an hour ahead and that meant it was after 7pm there.  She wouldn't be calling so late just to answer a routine question.  I grabbed my phone...

Me: Leslie?
Leslie: Amy,  Yes....
Me: Is this the call?
Leslie (laughing):  Yes, this is the call...
Me: (my voice getting louder louder) Oh...Oh..Oh no!  I'm at work!  I need to get home!  Jeremy's not here!  Oh my...  When did you know?  How is this possible?  Oh my goodness!
Leslie (clearly enjoying my out of control-ness)  Calm down.  Go home.  Get out your computer and call me back.  And DRIVE SAFE!
Me: Ok,  (as I'm grabbing my purse, jacket  and keys all at the same time....suddenly I pause) Wait...please tell me this much...is it a girl or boy.
Leslie: A beautiful boy.

My co-workers, who by this time were all aware that we had a baby, helped me gather my things and get out the door.  All were calling out best wishes as I left.

I called Jeremy on my way home and told him we had a referral and to turn the computer on so Leslie could email us all the info.

 We called Leslie back, but she didn't answer!  We weren't the only ones getting a referral that evening.  Later, in Ethiopia, we would meet some of the families who also received their referrals the same night we did.


We  got a hold of Leslie and while we were on the phone with her she emailed us this....




One year ago today, we saw our son for the first time. 

Here he is one year later...



We are so blessed.



No comments:

Post a Comment